Yesterday I noticed that some of the chicks had poop sticking to their bottoms. It was gross looking so I decided to look how to clean it up and if it was normal. Come to find out it is a condition called butt pasting and if they don't get cleaned out, they get clogged and die. That kind of freaked me out and they said it has to be taken care of immediately. So Aaron and I cleaned them up with baby wipes. When Aaron was trying to get one of the turkeys, she just jumped right out of the incubator and into Aaron's hand. She is the one we got yesterday and is very friendly. It startled Aaron that she jumped out like that and it caught him off guard. It wasn't very fun and I couldn't believe I was actually cleaning chicken bottoms. Oh, the glamorous life. At least they are safe now and they still look clean today. Hopefully, it doesn't come back. I've never had farm animals before and it sure is interesting to see the different animals. There is already one chicken that looks like she is going to be the dominant one. She is much bolder than the others and very curious. Another one reminds us of Armstrong because she sleeps or relaxes most of the day. It will be interesting to see what their personalities will be.
My sister teases us about becoming farmers since we have the new baby chicks and then yesterday I spent the day planting flowers and a strawberry patch. We are also planning out our garden. I guess in a way we are kind of becoming farmers. It's a lot of fun and I really enjoy having fresh vegetables and herbs.
Sunday, April 27, 2008
Oh the Joys of Raising Farm Animals
Posted by Andrea at 9:09 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh that is soooo cute, Aaron cleaning bird bottoms. I hope you enjoy the new babies!
Michael had to do the same thing. Gross but it had to be done. The rest of the chickens can't wait to get to the farm! I think you need a baby duck now, they are so cute.
I didn't know you live on a farm with animals. So what others animals do you have? That's a lot of work, but I too think it would be great to have a garden.
Farm life can be very rewarding! I miss the fresh vegetables and fruit we harvested there is none better. We also used to have horses, pigs, goats,lambs, and the chickens and turkeys. Of course I didn't appreciate it then as I do now!
Post a Comment