Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Meet Bugsy & the New Babies!

This is Bugsy! She's my newest bunny. I got her on Monday. She might look kind of funny, but her fur is amazingly soft! I sure like our new baby girl.
Aaron came up with the name Bugsy. Her eyes really stick out of her head and Aaron says she reminds him of a deer or rat. I think she is adorable and reminds me of the Velveteen rabbit. I think the name Bugsy really fits her.
Here are our 6 newest chicks. I can't remember what breed they are, but they lay white chicken eggs. On Saturday we lost our 5 chickens that Michael brought up. On Saturday we were home and decided to run to my sister's for dinner. She lives a mile away and it was 5pm. The chickens were still out eating so we didn't put them up. I have locked them up after it was dark and they were always okay. We came home from dinner and I couldn't find them in the hen house. I looked all over and found 3 in the yard and the other two were missing. We think a cat or bobcat got in the hen yard and killed them. We both were so mad and upset at this. We spent all of Saturday cleaning out the hen house and the chickens had such a great time eating all the grubs that day. They loved the new hen house we had set up and they were fully grown and looking so beautiful. They were so friendly too. We were so excited about their new home and to come home and find that made us so upset. If we find that cat it is going straight to the humane society. We are now looking into new ways to protect the chickens and build a safer coop. These 6 are to replace Michael's chickens. We feel so bad about what happened. Hopefully we can limit the harm to the chickens.

I am really beginning to understand the farmer's point of view from the children stories and how they work so hard to protect their crops and chickens from animals. It is a lot of work to keep them safe and secure. It's hard to keep them safe, but still give the freedom to enjoy the full yard. I guess we will have to figure out some balance here so they are happy, healthy chicks, but kept safe from predators.
These guys are really cute and friendly. When I was setting up their cage yesterday they kept hopping into my hand and falling asleep. My hand must have been really warm and comfortable.
This chicken is quite a character. She is the boss. She likes to have the highest perch and we keep finding her sleeping up here and spying on the smaller chicks that are on the other side of the divider.

2 comments:

Liz said...

That is the most adorable bunny i have ever seen. I love how her ears perk right on up. Love the name too. I guess you are truly experiencing the farm life.

Nonny said...

You have that special touch! My mom did too. It is too bad about Michael's chickens. I can remember giving two of our kittens to our friends who were having problems with mice. They were both killed within a day by their two dogs. It was so sad!!