I really like the side of town we live on. We are close to Mt. Lemmon, a lot of mountain biking trails and good shopping. I've always felt safe over here and we have a nice neighborhood, but I guess it is always good to be cautious. I have been riding my bike to work or taking the bus lately to reduce my carbon footprint and my car bills. Raytheon has a nice express bus that comes right by our house so I ride it if I am too tired to ride my bike. This morning I got up bright and early to catch the 1st bus at 5:45am. On my way home today I heard people talking about this serial stabber on the Eastside. The story is below and the Raytheon man was at the stop nearest our house. I catch the bus one street down because there are more people at that stop. I'm glad I didn't go to this stop today . . .
Tucson Police search for possible serial stabber on Eastside
Posted: March 17, 2009 12:24 PM
Updated: March 17, 2009 12:56 PM
By Brian White - email
Tucson Police are on the hunt for a possible serial stabber-- a man in his 30s or 40s, described as wearing "ragged" blue jeans and an Oakland Raiders sweatshirt or jacket.
The attacker has stabbed two people Tuesday, police say, on the Eastside near Pantano and Broadway. They both are in the hospital with life-threatening injuries.
The attacks began at about 5:45 a.m. when a 51-year-old Raytheon employee, who is visually impaired, was dropped off at a bus stop on the 7800 Block of East Speedway by his wife.
Police say the attacker waited and hid from the man at the bus stop until he stabbed him mulitiple times from behind.
The suspect fled northbound towards a nearby Walgreens, police said.
The second stabbing happened at about 9 a.m. near the 6700 block of East Broadway when the victim was walking between the Walgreens and the Boot Barn.
He was confronted by the suspect and then stabbed in the stomach, police say.
Police believe the same man is connected to an attempted robbery in the same area that happened Tuesday morning. A 21-year-old was assaulted after being approached by a man who demanded money. The suspect punched the victim, who suffered cuts to his forehead during the fight.
Tucson Police bike patrols in addition to heightened squad patrols are searching the area for the suspect.
If you have any information regarding these crimes, call 911.
3 comments:
Andrea that is so scary. You need to make Aaron sit and wait with you at the bus stop.
crazy! mental note: do not move to Tucson..
Be careful Andrea! Use your keys as a weapon and have maze handy. A friend of mine was attacked at dusk out in the Fry's parking lot. She felt that one of the reasons for this attack was that she was not alert or paying attention to her surroundings. Keeping your phone out as if in conversation while waiting for your bus may also deter any attackers. Good luck and our prayers are with you!
Post a Comment